Do You Know How to Handle a Chipped Tooth?
A chipped tooth can happen to anyone. If you know how to handle a dental emergency before you get to your dentist, you can avoid complications, and make yourself more comfortable. All fractured, broken, or chipped teeth should be evaluated by an affordable dentist. Correctly assessing the extent of damage could save the chipped tooth. If your tooth breaks into small pieces, rinse them off and take them with you to the dentist. While you’re waiting to see get an appointment, use the following tips to make yourself more comfortable, and protect your chipped tooth.
Immediate Care for Chipped Teeth
- To stop bleeding, apply pressure with clean gauze.
- Rinse with warm, salt water to relieve pain and prevent infection.
- If needed, take an over-the-counter pain medication.
- Reduce swelling by placing an ice pack over the area of your face where the problem tooth is.
- Stick to liquids and soft foods.
- Place dental wax or sugarless gum over sharp areas to protect your tongue and cheeks.
- If you can’t see your dentist immediately, use temporary dental cement to stabilize teeth.
Ways Your Dentist Can Fix Your Chipped Tooth
- For tiny, superficial chips, polishing and smoothing jagged edges may be sufficient.
- Extensive damage may require a crown or cap to prevent further harm.
- Fillings are helpful in repairing chipped molars. Bonding may work better for front teeth.
- If you have an affordable dentist, porcelain veneers may be your preferred treatment. Dental insurance does not cover the cost of veneers because they are cosmetic.
- When an injury causes extensive damage to the tooth’s pulp, your dentist or endodontist can perform a root canal to clean out the inner contents of the tooth and seal the area.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Annapolis, call Dental One Associates of Annapolis today at (410) 793-4922 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Annapolis. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Annapolis, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Annapolis.