Straight Talk About Types of Braces
Need braces? Then you need this helpful guide to the many options in orthodontics today.
These are the most traditional type of braces with metal brackets and wires. They have proven effective at moving teeth into proper position for decades. Yet family orthodontics have come a long way and introduced many kinds of smaller, less noticeable, more comfortable braces. Most orthodontists in Annapolis offer many varieties in addition to the conventional metal.
- Most affordable braces
- Ideal braces for kids
- Options for colored bands
- Proven effectiveness
- Most noticeable orthodontics option for braces
- Metal brackets and wires can irritate mouth
Featuring the same metal construction as traditional metal braces, this orthodontics option differs because the braces are attached to the back of the teeth, rather than the front. This makes them practically invisible from view. An orthodontist will usually recommend them for adults who are insecure about being seen with braces.
- Barely visible from the outside
- Requires more time for adjustments
- Hard to clean
- Less affordable braces than other options
- Not suitable for complex dental needs, so not the best braces for kids
- Often uncomfortable at first
Ceramic braces are shaped and sized similarly to metal braces, but they have tooth-colored or clear brackets and wires that are much less noticeable than metal. They have become very popular and are offered by many orthodontists in Annapolis. An orthodontist often recommends them to adults and teens that are self-conscious about wearing braces.
- More discreet than metal braces
- Can straighten and shift teeth much faster than Invisalign invisible aligners
- Less affordable braces than metal
- Brackets may stain without proper care
Invisalign Invisible Aligners
One of the latest advances in family orthodontics practices is Invisalign invisible aligners. Rather than moving teeth with brackets and wires, these use a series of custom-made, clear plastic aligners. Each is worn for about two weeks and then replaced with the next in the series. They are removed to ease eating, drinking, and cleaning teeth.
- Virtually invisible
- Removable for better function
- Not recommended for complex dental problems
- Can be easily lost or misplaced
- Only used for adults and teens, so not an option as braces for kids
- Least affordable braces type
- May require longer treatment time
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Annapolis, call Dental One Associates of Annapolis today at (410) 793-4922 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Annapolis. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Annapolis, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Annapolis.